Friday, September 16, 2016

Curating BIG Learning Environment Design Challenges

The challenges I face are varied. I am an instructional designer so I come across several challenges when working with professors to design their courses. A few of my biggest challenges are below:

1. Too much information - many times my instructors think more is better in terms of content. However, most of the time this content is not aligned with their objectives. It's a challenge explaining this without stepping on toes.

2. Alignment - This goes along with #1 above but before LEM it was a challenge mapping out the course in a way that made it very clear that the course wasn't aligned. Now, it's incredibly fast and easy to see what's missing from the content and what should be taken out.

3. Instructor frustration - it's difficult at times to convince an instructor that though it makes sense to them, their students may find something confusing. They are the content expert, however, I am here to help them design their course in a way that's fluid and comprehensible for the student.

4. The "I have no clue what I am going to do" phase - Unless the instructor has never taught this subject before, most of the time they do have some sort of idea how they want their course to be set up. The challenge comes with the brainstorming sessions and articulating their wants.

No comments:

Post a Comment